[TechAssist] Re: 220v

  • From: Hermantvr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 13:02:26 EST

Guys...I really don't know what you mean when you talk abut a TV using 220v.
On a 120v line you have a hot side and a neutral (0 volts) side. On a 240
line you have two hot sides.....believe me it will let the smoke out of yur
power supply filters.

Tommy Herman
Herman TV
250 School Ave SW
Taylorsville  N.C.  28681
828-632-5322 Voice
828-632-3880  Fax

If a TV requires 120 Watts of power, you could power it with 120V, 1 Amp
or 240V, 0.5A.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
7134 Fife Rd, RR 7
Guelph Ontario Canada N1H 6J4
Fax: (519)821-1530
email: gary (at) number63.ca

gulftech@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Dear Villy,
>
> Most of us know that formula as P = IE.  Since current is directly
> proportional to voltage ( I = E/R), an increase in voltage yields a
> corresponding increase in current with R held constant.  If current and
> voltage are both doubled, power is increased by a factor of 4.
>
> If I'm wrong, please set me straight.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ken Smith
> Gulf Technical Services
> 3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway
> Gulf Breeze, FL  32563
> 850-934-8324 (Voice) 850-932-0819 (Fax)
>
> On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:03:37  0000 "Vilhelm Boor" <villyboor@xxxxxxxxx>
> writes:
> >
> > Villy boor
> >  Boorelec Durban
> >  When I read some of this I am rather surprised, where were some of
> > you trained, what happened to Ohms law? Why 2 round prongs. Most
> > countries use various combinations of flat pin at various angles,
> > Round pins tended to have a bakelite body.
> >   But please remember W=IV so the greater V is the less I will be so
> > cables are lighter, plugs can be smaller and fuses lower I. Philips
> > for example make a wide range of TV with an input requirement of
> > from 90V to 270V, just plug it in and its working. I am sometimes
> > left speechless, this is your subject and livlihood, you must know
> > basics.
> > On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 19:43:29
> >  teltek2 wrote:
> > >
> > >No...Their 220 does not requite a huge plug like your dryer..just 2
> > round

Tommy Herman
Herman TV
250 School Ave SW