[TechAssist] Re: 220v

  • From: "Vilhelm Boor" <villyboor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 08:28:02 0000

 Villy Boor
  Boorelec Durban
  I have to come back with a post script, To get voltage for a TV at over 200V
would require you to use a transformer. I am sure there could be other methods
using odd switching type devices but extremes of design like that would be
nonsense as it would be cheaper to get the correct model. I can not see where
the smoke would be derived if you stuck this on your TV as I am at a loss as to
how you would hook it up.
On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 07:59:10
 Vilhelm Boor wrote:

>Villy Boor
> Boorelec Durban
>   I am shocked that I know more about your power supplies in North America
> than seemingly you its residents do. North America works on 110V and you are
> stuck with that, tough its not as safe and losses are greater. Now you have a
> situation where you wish more voltage, you have to cheat The mains supply is
> 3 phase, it is usual to run a line down a street and try to balance the power
> by having house 1 on phase 1 house 2 on phase 2 etc. To get 220V you have to
> cheat, you use 2 phases so a plug has 2 live's. But why in the name of Freddy
> would we have to do that. Options on the back of TVs have gone, that requires
> you have a mains transformer, costs money is a no no. American TV is only
> viewable in America and a few other countries, the rest of us use the PAL
> system a much later and superior system, it follows then there is no
> requirement for your sets to work here or X. No we have standard 3 pin plugs
> (flat Pins pointing at 10 and 2 with an unused earth at 6) nominal fuse volta

> ge
> is 4A and there is no mystery
>--
>
>On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 21:54:26
> Julian Panizo wrote:
>>
>>In the countries with 220-240 V many sets have the 110 V option via switch
>>and a few have the voltage change automatic. The household wiring is two (2)
>>conductors, normally one hot and the other neutral, derived from a street
>>trifasic supply. In a few countries you get in some places 220 and others
>>110.
>>Julian
>>
>>Julian Panizo
>>C.C. 1867 Asunción  Paraguay
>>Phone/Fax 595 21 601913
>>panizo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>>> 2. Are you short a tech or have one on vacation?
>>> 3. Do you need help with a very difficult repair?
>>> 4. Would you like to make money jobbing the work out?
>>> 5. Would you like to ship out less profitable products so you can repair
>>> others?
>>> If you answered Yes to any of the above questions, Checkout these
>>websites:
>>> http://www.electricmedic.com/salesa.htm
>>> or