[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Tried and true way or do you go with your gut?

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'GSD list'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 12:21:44 -0700

Ahhh. Texaco. What a dog.

I fondly remember going to Alice and Mary's. seeing all these lovely Texaco
progeny. loving the look of the dog.  I said to them, why don't we try and
get him ready for a show.  Mary said, "No way, that ***er. he'll get us all,
he'll just get us thinking it might happen, and then he'll just screw us
over".  I said to them, what can it hurt to try?

So we met up for several weeks at handling class.  Texaco and I working like
clockwork.  Him moving out on the lead, looking stunning.  Alice was getting
excited.  Mary, still was reticent in her belief that it might be, but after
like the 4th time we worked him at work out. even she began to believe it
might be, maybe we could show this dog.  I was feeling like a million bucks
that this dog might actually work for me.

So, we're all excited, and head to the Canadian National.  In the open dog
class.  Alice arrived with him in the morning he was supposed to show.  We
went in the ring and he started out like he had at handling classes. looking
good, but not as exuberant as he had been. it went downhill from there with
me coaxing him along, and him running behind me.

When we came out of the ring, Mary just said what she had said in the
beginning, "That ****er!" . He was a very good producer though and
rightfully he got his ROM.  What was more was that his kids and grandkids
were also pretty good producers.  Every so often that attitude came back.
His grandson, Inflight's Fly So Free (sire of GVx Heaven Only Knows) was
much like him in that regard.

Kathaleen