[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Tried and true way or do you go with your gut?

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Showgsd-l'" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 10:10:59 -0700

Behalf Of Barbara Galasso

Have you ever seen a really nice looking male.........no let's say he's
a stunning looking male.  You're excited because you think he might be a
good breeding partner for your bitch.  You look up his pedigree and
BAM.........it's mediocre at best!  Sure both his parents are champions,
but very average champions at that.  But boy oh boy, they produced that
gorgeous male that you see in the center of the ring.  So you inquire
about his litter mates to find out the quality of the rest of the
litter.  You're told it was just him and his long coated brother who was
sold in to a pet home.  Alright then.  Do you forget about using this
gorgeous dog because of his pedigree or do you throw caution to the wind
and hope for a few that look like him?  Barbara

Thanks Barbara for a thought-provoking subject to focus our attention on
what this list is supposed to be about.

I personally would do a combination of things.

If this dog was as stunning as you think he is, then there must be something
in that pedigree which allowed him to be whelped.

I'd look at my bitch first.  What areas does she need to be compensated in?
Does this dog himself appear correct for these areas.  Are you sure you're
seeing the true dog, or has he been enhanced by the use of the lead,
inventive handling and good management?  Have you had your hands on him?
Have you seen him move on a loose lead?

If you're using the compensation theory of breeding, the next step is to
move into the area of research on pedigrees.  If the sire and dam of this
dog are Champions, but "mediocre" champions, what's behind them?  Is the dog
linebred, inbred, outcross?  How would his pedigree compare to your bitch's
pedigree?

If after I had my hands on the dog, and after the research portion, I think
if his pedigree is as mediocre as you describe, and it didn't even remotely
match up somewhere with my bitch on a dog I liked, I probably would pass on
the dog.

I also wouldn't allow titles to sway me -- there's some very nice animals
who are titled who haven't got what it takes to be good producers because
they are based on faulty pedigrees and there are some very nice animals out
there who haven't the bevy of titles to "prove" their worth yet their
progeny speak extremely well for them.  As long as we have judges who are
going to continue to judge like they are now, the dogs with the natural,
athletic ability of coordination, outreaching sidegait will not be the dogs
you see with big titles, but those dogs are still out there.

Kathaleen