[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Tried and true way or do you go with your gut?

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <firethorntemple@xxxxxxxxx>, "freelist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 10:58:58 -0700

If the dog were as outstanding as Barbara mentioned I would do some research on
the pedigree!!
Often a sire and dam are mediocre at best......but with a little research you
often can find outstanding
littermates or progeny of some of those dogs.......or even littermates of their
parents.
A "stunning"  male didn't come from no good genes ANYWHERE.
Even with an outstanding pedigree a dog can produce all the faults of the
lines........with your bitch.  <G>
In other words......if the dog were as stunning and outstanding as you proposed
in your question...IF
he had what we felt our bitch needed and I found a lot of good dogs closely
related I would definitely
utilize him.    I don't know of one great male that does not have some great
dogs closely related...just
maybe not at first glance.    Pedigrees are to research.     We have often been
one of the first to breed
to a younger unproven dog.    Only been sorry once.
Bottom line......every dog is not proven with YOUR bitch unless you use him
with YOUR stuff.
The key of course is how good is the bitch you are using and HER pedigree!!
<G>

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

From: Edwin Hill Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Tried and true way or do you go
with your gut?
my view is a little different....what a surprise..lol....the wonderful Male you
speak of must have had his "genes" hook up to produce HIM...the whole equals
the sum of its parts so to speak.....breeding is an Art/Science activity...it's
also a "crap shoot"...it also takes TWO to tango...the bitch brings 1/2 the
genetic material to the litter...many believe ( not me) that her half is more
important anyway.....Tom Langlitz ( I miss him) once said the most important
dogs in a litter's pedigree are the two tied together! ( sire and dam)...to me
pedigrees are like criminal RAP Sheets ( past crime records)....they are both
very important in predicting the future, but many times they are over
rated.....many of the parolees I've arrested DID NOT have a criminal history
for that crime....yes I know the analogy is comparing apples and
oranges.....pedigrees are important but look at the two dogs involved, I
believe it's just as important.......just look at all the success I've
had...lol....FB
---
From: Tom Elkins <firethorntemple@xxxxxxxxx>
Barbara -- Great question! My take is that I would admire that dog at a show,
but I wouldn't breed to him
in a hundred years. Jack Budd was a great breeder. He used to describe dogs
like that as "Cinderella Dogs".
 He'd say,"People breed to one like that thinking they're going to get
beautiful coaches, but at midnight they
end up with a bunch of pumpkins."
I think that breeding dogs is an art/science in which one should NEVER throw
caution to the wind.
 tom elkins    Firethorn Temple    http://www.firethorntemple.com

On Behalf Of Barbara Galasso  Subject: Tried and true way or do you go with
your gut?

Have you ever seen a really nice looking male.........no let's say he's a
stunning looking male. You're
excited because you think he might be a good breeding partner for your bitch.
You look up his pedigree
and BAM.........it's mediocre at best! Sure both his parents are champions,
but very average champions
at that. But boy oh boy, they produced that gorgeous male that you see in the
center of the ring.    So you
inquire about his litter mates to find out the quality of the rest of the
litter. You're told it was just him and his
long coated brother who was sold in to a pet home. Alright then. Do you forget
about using this gorgeous
dog because of his pedigree or do you throw caution to the wind and hope for a
few that look like him?
 Barbara