[rollei_list] Re: Meters and Film

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 20:56:15 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carlos Manuel Freaza" <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 6:47 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Meters and Film

My point in my previous post was that you can do those three measurements and even more types with the Gossen Luna Pro F, perhaps this Luna Pro F is a Norwood type lightmeter with more accesories. My second point was that to measure highlights or to obtain some detail for highlights could be or couldn't be necessary, it depends about the subject and your idea about the image. The Luna Pro F also allows to measure the Scene Brightness Range, f.e. if the film can accept 2 EV Under Exposure to 2 1/2 EV Over exposure, your total range is 4 1/2 EV, then you take reflected readings for the image main area highlights and shadows, if these readings fall within the 2 EV under exposure and 2 1/2 over exposure range, your exposure will be right, if the readings result in 3 EV UE and 1 EV OE you'll lose shadows details even if the EV variance is 4.-

Carlos

The only thing the Luna-Pro and other similar meters lack is the flat diffuser and the readings with that can be duplicated by making reflection measurements off a card. The extra attachment on the Norwood type is just a convenience plus it is much more limited in making reflected light measurements than the Luna-Pro. I use a Luna Pro and a Sekonic meter (and some others) these two agree exactly but the Luna-Pro works at very low light levels. Mostly I just point the meter and use whatever reading is shows. I also use the TTL meter in my Nikon F all the time and it usually produces good negatives and good Kodachromes.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA