[rollei_list] Re: Meters and Film

  • From: "dnygr" <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:57:57 GMT

Right.
Color changes in summer for me. The palm works best for me.
Doug
From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent 8/31/2009 11:14:28 AM
To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Meters and FilmHi Doug -The meter doesn't want to
turn everything to grey... it believes thatthe average of all the reflectance
in the scene is middle gray. Ifthat is not the case, you need to adjust.A
comment was made by someone (I think Mark Rabiner) not too long agothat using
incident metering, you do not have to adjust... just readthe scale and go.
That, too, is erroneous, particularly shooting inlow or high key situations
with chrome film or older digital, both ofwhich can only capture limited
contrast ranges. You can easily placeto contrast of the scene outside of what
the medium can handle if youdon't know and think about what's what...Eric
GoldsteinOn Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 11:03 AM, dnygr<dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> > I
don't have any trouble with my M6. I know the meter wants to change> everything
to gray--that is it wants to turn white to gray and black to> gray. I expose
for shadow and meter off my hand and then open up a stop.I> develop for
highlights and things work out well. Not a big deal. The keyis> to shadow for
detail and open up a stop. My hand is a perfect gray card.> > For cameras
without meters, I use a hand-held device on which the I measure> the light
landing on the sensor instead of  using reflected light.I again> meter for
shadow, but don't adjust as I would with a meter that measures> reflected
light.> > I'm sure you know this.> > I have found some cameras have meters that
are off. My M6 is not one of> them. But since I know the meter wants to turn
everything gray, I know I> have to adjust my exposure. The problem is designed
into the beast.> > I have had to re-calibrate one hand-held meter. Out of the
box it wasoff.> Once corrected, it was fine. I never blame the meter for my
problems. Just> me.> > Doug> -----Original Message-----> From: "Jan Decher"
<Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>> Sent 8/31/2009 8:45:16 AM> To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Meters and Film> > Ed,> To me
a Leica M6 and a hand-held meter in "street photography" or other snap> shot
situations are an oxymoron.  If an average-lit subject withaverage> contrast
comes out underexposed at the nominal ASA setting of the film, then> THE CAMERA
underexposes at the nominal setting, not me!   If I know that, I> can set the
camera ASA value accordingly.  However, I prefer a camera to be> adjusted
right on, so I don't have to remember to set the ASA value above> or below
every time.> This has nothing to do with high contrast scenes or other special
situation> (contre jour etc.) that require me to individually override the
camera> meter, or spot meter a part of the scene.> Most handheld meters have
much to broad a metering angle to match the> accuracy of built-in TTL meters,
and their usefulness is overrated.>  Obviously, I use one for my meterless
R3.5E.> Jan> > On Aug 30, 2009, at 1:06 AM, FreeLists Mailing List Manager
wrote:> > From: aghalide@xxxxxxx> > Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Meters and
Film> > Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 11:57:52 +0000> > The camera doesn't
underexpose. You do. Much depends on the contrast of the> subject so in
situations with high contrast subjects, you must increase your> exposure
slightly to get good results. In flat lighting you can underexpose> about 1/2
stop to get good results. Different cameras are set up to expose> differently
therefore a good hand meter is preferable.> > Ed> ---Rollei List- Post to
rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with
'subscribe'in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org-
subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org- Online, searchable archives
are available at//www.freelists.org/archives/rollei_list