[rollei_list] Re: Meters and Film

  • From: aghalide@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 11:57:52 +0000

The camera doesn't underexpose. You do. Much depends on the contrast of the subject so in situations with high contrast subjects, you must increase your exposure slightly to get good results. In flat lighting you can underexpose about 1/2 stop to get good results. Different cameras are set up to expose differently therefore a good hand meter is preferable.

.

Ed

-------------- Original message from Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>: --------------

My Leica M6 is the first camera I owed that actually UNDER- exposes by probably a half stop.  My Velvia and Sensia chromes from London and Germany were very crips and rather a tad too dark, so I have to remember to set the ASA value about a third stop lower.
I have had only mediocre success using chromes in my previous 2.8E with the 2-zone built-in (Gossen?) EV  meter and I have not yet shot chromes in my current 3.5 E with my handheld Sekonic Twinmate L-208.  Definitely a reason to look for a GX/FX.
Got spoiled by the Rolleiflex SL66SE and subsequent Contax 645 which were both right on - perfect chromes!
Jan

Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 00:35:10 -0400

From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>

chromes have traditionally been claimed to have only a half-stop

window and some, such as former List member Bob Shell, argued for 1/3

of a stop.  My own experience has been that Ektachrome will play well

within a one over or under window, but that Kodachrome really does

need a half-stop.  Ilfochrome can be very unforegiving.

I used to do a lot of shooting of jazz groups in late-night ill-lit

venues laden with smoke.  The meters in my Leica M6 and Rolleiflex

2.8GX never let me down.  ...