[rollei_list] Re: Meters and Film

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:02:26 -0400

> I don't have any trouble with my M6. I know the meter wants to change
> everything to gray--that is it wants to turn white to gray and black to gray.
> I expose for shadow and meter off my hand and then open up a stop. I develop
> for highlights and things work out well. Not a big deal. The key is to shadow
> for detail and open up a stop. My hand is a perfect gray card.

If you're metering off your hand and opening up a stop that's not a shadow
you're exposing for.
Which is by the way  way ok with me.
I let my shadows fall in my black and white just like I do with my slides
and with my digital. The important part of the pix is usually in the high
areas and the important part of the curve for the highlights to fall on is
critical. You don't certainly want to place it too high IE over expose it.

Mark William Rabiner