[rollei_list] Re: Meters and Film

  • From: Elias Roustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:16:20 -0400

I was taught (by a very pale Polish-American) that the palm of just about anyone's hand pretty darned close to zone VI.

The back of the hand is another matter.

E.

On Aug 31, 2009, at 12:57 PM, dnygr wrote:

Right.
Color changes in summer for me. The palm works best for me.
Doug

From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent 8/31/2009 11:14:28 AM
To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Doug -
The meter doesn't want to turn everything to grey... it believes that
the average of all the reflectance in the scene is middle gray. If
that is not the case, you need to adjust.
A comment was made by someone (I think Mark Rabiner) not too long ago
that using incident metering, you do not have to adjust... just read
the scale and go. That, too, is erroneous, particularly shooting in
low or high key situations with chrome film or older digital, both of
which can only capture limited contrast ranges. You can easily place
to contrast of the scene outside of what the medium can handle if you
don't know and think about what's what...
Eric Goldstein
On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 11:03 AM, dnygr<dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't have any trouble with my M6. I know the meter wants to change > everything to gray--that is it wants to turn white to gray and black to > gray. I expose for shadow and meter off my hand and then open up a stop.
> develop for highlights and things work out well. Not a big deal. The key
is
> to shadow for detail and open up a stop. My hand is a perfect gray card.
>
> For cameras without meters, I use a hand-held device on which the I measu
re
> the light landing on the sensor instead of  using reflected light.
I again