[rollei_list] Re: Meters and Film

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:58:51 -0400

If I was shooting a guy in a black mohair sweater on top of a mountain in
Afghanistan at high  noon and I knew that the sweater itself as part of the
title of the shot. What the shot was all about. Maybe it was fashion.
I'd not just place his face.
I'd make sure the sweater was not falling below two stops under middle grey.
Which is last sign of important detail in my book when it comes to black and
white film, digital or slides.

When I need to see texture in the dark areas I need to make sure my
exposures which I do place for high areas do not result in darks which lack
important texture.
But normally I'm much quicker letting the darks go then letting the highs
wash out.
As a shot with highs washed it is clearly at first causal glance an
unsuccessful image.

Mark William Rabiner