[rollei_list] Re: Meters and Film

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:38:28 -0400

I hear you... Incidence is more reliable for you, Carlos. I realize
you were not saying that reflectance metering is wrong (which would be
kind of silly now, wouldn't it?) You were just expressing a
preference. Your fine images speak for themselves.

We do want to keep accurate information on the list, and that is
really the only point of my contributions... not to persuade anyone to
adopt any particular type of methodology. It was well known that
Weston had little idea of how to use an exposure meter for a good
portion of his career... we should all be as talented a shooter as he.
So there are all kinds of different strategies leading to successful
photographs.

As for experience... let me pass a bit of mine along. In my work, I've
looked at thousands of portfolios and reels, and hired/worked with
hundreds of photographers and film-makers. In my experience, some of
those who've been at it the longest are the most inept. For instance,
right now I am working with a client who is a major US brand-name
institution. I am consulting with them to guide them in establishing a
digital archive of their collection. Before hiring me, they worked
with a major, name brand photographer with a world-wide reputation.
You would likely know his name, the publications where he is routinely
published, and his books. This man, with all his alleged experience
and reputation, steered these people so wrong and gave them such poor
aesthetic advise and technical guidance that they wasted well over six
figures in getting the project going and had to basically start over.

So I hold no special place for "pros," teachers, or those who claim
mountains of experience. Some of them make all kinds of mistakes and
disseminate all kinds of misinformation.

Eric Goldstein