[rollei_list] Re: Meters and Film

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:06:17 -0400

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 11:56 PM, Richard Knoppow<dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>    The only thing the Luna-Pro and other similar meters lack is the flat
> diffuser and the readings with that can be duplicated by making reflection
> measurements off a card. (snipped)

This is actually trickier than it would seem. The hemipheres on
well-designed indecent meters collect light from specified areas,
which really cannot be easily duplicated with a gray card. Also, a
gray card is not a gray card is not a gray card, and some of them have
finished which make them more reflective/specular than others. I once
tested three well known gray cards, all less than 3 years old and
carefully stored, and came up with three different reading with a 3/4
stop variance.

But as has been pointed out by others here, we capture reflectance on
film and not incidence. Reflectance accounts for the levels of light
hitting the emulsion, and also the range of contrast. Incidence is
only half that story and cannot account for contrast range...

Mark Rabiner made a telling comment in one of his recent posts... that
to get the right texture out of a particular subject, you had to place
it within a certain portion of the characteristic curve of the film.
You are not going to accomplish this with an incidence meter...

Eric Goldstein