[rollei_list] Re: Do you know?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 12:45:02 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carlos Manuel Freaza" <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 7:04 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Do you know?

I can't see any "telescope" in the Leica SM telemeter design Richard, it has a 38mm base and the Contax 90mm base. The Contax telemeter is more rigid than the Leica one due to the two wedges and then it requires adjustment very rarely, the Contax telemeter has two colors for the images, a reddish one for the main image and a greenish one for the secondary image, when both images coincide, colors become identical and almost natural and stronger, very easy to focus.BTW you are seeing your subject to take the photograph all the time, you don't need to change windows.

Rolleiflex shutters (and Contax shutters)don't have problems with the sun, and BTW the Rollei TLR 3.5 shutter is more silent than the Leica and Contax shutters, there is a test in the web, the Compur 3.5 Rolleiflex shutter is the more silent mechanical shutter.-

Well, you are right, I just looked again. The range finder image is larger because it is life-size while the viewfinder has some reduction in size. While the Contax has metal slats in the shutter I am not sure it is safe to point it at the sun due to the cloth ribbons that hold the slats together. Even an all-metal shutter curtain such as the one used in Nikon F cameras is probably not immune to sun damage. Of course, in an SLR with an automatic mirror return the shutter is exposed to the outside world only briefly so it isn't really comparable. As far as noise, I don't know of any focal plane shutter which is as quiet as a Compur shutter.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA