[rollei_list] Re: Do you know?

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 04:04:55 -0500

At 03:50 AM 1/9/2009, you wrote:
>I think the word "telescope" was confusing Richard, however later
>Leica SM models have viewfinders with 1.5x magnification, being the
>baseline physical length about 38mm x 1.5= 57mm for the effective
>baseline, shorter than the Contax II effective baseline clearly,
>anyway a good effective baseline for focusing.
>I have the book "35 MM Photo Technique" by H.S. Newcombe, it shows the
>Contax and Leica SM and Ektra rangefinder designs, they are pretty
>different (the Ektra has a "split field" RF type).The author writes
>the cameras physical baseline length only, not the effective baseline.
>The two wedges in the Contax RF are significant to keep the RF
>calibration even for worst situations.
>
>An interesting comparison about the new Zeiss Ikon RF and Leica M7:
>
>Zeis Ikon RF
>75mm x 0.74 magnification with an effective length of 55.5mm
>
>M7:
>69.25mm x 0.72 magnification, with an effective length of 49.9mm.
>
>"...prewar Contax of Zeiss Ikon AG were always superior to Leica.
>Indeed, the Contax was known, thanks to its long rangefinder baseline,
>for the highest accuracy in measurement of object to camera distance
>for precise focusing." (Shutterbug, S.Takeda, April 2005)

Newcombe wrote some interesting books.  A highly recommended author!

I'm sending you directly a PDF file listing some RF effective RF baselines taken from a table in a book I was once writing on the history of the Leica camera. I'll add your latest information to the table, just to keep it current!

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!