[pure-silver] Re: D-76 and variations

  • From: "John Black" <jblack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 12:50:54 -0500

>    The original D-76 formula and Ilford's published formula
> for ID-11 are:
>
> Water (at 125F or 52C)                750.0 ml
> Metol                                   2.0 grams
> Sodium Sulfite, dessicated            100.0 grams
> Hydroquinone                            5.0 grams
> Borax, granulated                       2.0 grams
> Water to make                           1.0 liter

Seems like I remember the OLD original prewar formula for D76 was
accelerated with Na Carbonate and had a problem with increasing activity
with aging in solution that was traced to a rise in pH mediated by the
carbonate.  All of which was remedied by switching to borate
accelerators/buffers.  Am I dreaming or was that the case many years ago?

JB