[projectaon] Re: Grand Master comment period [Books 15-20]

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 14:44:18 +0100

On 30/08/2012 23:07, Jonathan Blake wrote:
On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Speaking about commas:
<http://projectaon.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=gotopost&board=helpwanted&thread=706&post=38777>

(er) 02fotw 49:
Sails tear, ropes mysteriously untie themselves and timbers warp and leak.
The men become short-tempered in the cramped quarters and fighting, often to
the death, is commonplace.

The first sentence should have a serial comma before 'and'. [tw] writes: "I
would have written "their cramped quarters". A comma before "and fighting"
might also improve readability." I'm not sure about changing 'the' to
'their' (the original seems correct to me), but should there be a comma
before 'and fighting' in view of last week's discussion?

Agreed on the first sentence. Regarding the second, "the" is fine
as-is, and here a couple options for punctuation that I think works:

"The men become short-tempered in the cramped quarters, and fighting —
often to the death — is commonplace."

"The men become short-tempered in the cramped quarters, and fighting,
often to the death, is commonplace."

I prefer the first option. I would have also suggested parentheses,
but Joe rarely seems to use them in these situations, or at least
that's my impression.

I'd also vote for the first option with the dashes. It's less fussy.