[projectaon] Re: Grand Master comment period [Books 15-20]

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 10:58:14 +0100

On 01/08/2012 23:53, Jonathan Blake wrote:
On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 3:24 AM, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for putting this list together, Simon.

BOOKS 1-28

(ne) Illustration Captions: [so: In some books the longer captions are
broken up using <line> tags; in others they are not. Let's decide which is
better and standardise.]

What the explicit line breaks are intended to do is turn cases like
this where the automatic line wrapping creates an awkward
presentation:

~~~~~
Two men in ragged clothes are huddled together beside a small
fire.
~~~~~

Into this:

~~~~~
Two men in ragged clothes are huddled
together beside a small fire.
~~~~~

This has been applied ad hoc because it's hard to know in advance when
this will be a problem since letterforms have different widths.

Thoughts?

There can also be a problem if the reader increases the size of the text, I suppose, so I'd opt to split all captions longer than x characters to avoid 'orphaned' words at likely magnifications. If that makes sense...

BOOKS 13-20:

(er) The Story So Far: to destroy the fertile world of Magnamund have
themselves -> to destroy the fertile world of Magnamund, have themselves

The current XML conforms to your suggestion in the cases of 14 and
17-20, but don't have errata entries in the cases that I checked. Is
this always a change from the printed books or were some printed this
way?

13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18: Original text actually has comma--oops!

19, 20: missing comma.

19: These champions of evil, who were sent forth by Naar--the King of the Darkness--to destroy the fertile world of Magnamund have themselves since been destroyed.

20: These champions of evil, who were sent forth by Naar, the King of the Darkness, to destroy the fertile world of Magnamund have themselves since been destroyed.

I can't recall if it's on the list you're working on, but we also need to discuss the changes made to Book 17 respecting increasing the instant-death chances for using the Sommerswerd in Xaagon. There was general agreement back when it was mooted, but we should ensure we're happy with the changes made before an official release.