[opendtv] Re: Sony U.S execs: Expect a robust holiday season

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 08:14:01 -0500

>    * From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>     * To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>     * Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 18:02:37 -0800
>
>Craig wrote:
>  >TV service has become what telephone service was yesterday. It is an
>  >oligopoly with little incentive to compete, extracting a huge amount
>  >or money from advertisers AND competitor, while the service becomes
>  >the 21st Century equivalent of a buggy whip.
>
>Jeez Craig, take a deep breath and sip one of your home brews!

Sorry to challenge your view of the services that local TV
broadcasters provide Dale, but I stand by what I said.

Please consider the following questions:

1. What will happen to local broadcasters when Must
Carry/Re-transmission consent are overturned?

2. Will the media conglomerates continue to rely upon local
broadcasters to deliver their content if there is no economic or
regulatory advantage in using local broadcasters as a distribution
middleman?

3. Can a station survive economically based only on locally produced
content and syndicated programming?
(please assume that ALL stations in a market (other than Network
O&O's) will become non-affiliated as the conglomerates eliminate
affiliates).

4. What would happen to the OTA TV service is ownership caps are eliminated?

5. What will happen to local TV broadcasters when new competitors are
able to acquire enough spectrum to offer competitive wireless TV and
information services?

6. What are existing TV broadcasters doing to prepare themselves for
a world in which they are forced to compete in an open marketplace,
against cable, DBS, Telco IPTV, Internet streaming and downloads, and
wireless services optimized for mobile/portable receivers?

P.S. What's you address so I can send you a few of my award winning
home brews? Perhaps with a few sips you will find it more enjoyable
to answer the questions above.

;-)