[opendtv] Re: Sony U.S execs: Expect a robust holiday season

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:34:22 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> It has been my contention that if we used DVB-T in the US,
> we would have many more choices of STBs for this market,
> specifically because they would not be significantly
> different from the boxes they already sell to the rest
> of the world.
>
> You continue to ignore that minor point,

I ignored? Or you don't read? I responded eons ago.

First, if CE manufacturers don't want to introduce DTT
products here, they would continue not to, no matter if we
had DVB-T. They would simply not supply products with 6 MHz
bandwidth, or with 115/60 power supplies, or with US VHF
frequencies, or 30/60 Hz frame rates, or any number of
other differences that would make the Euro or Aussie boxes
incompatible here.

Secondly, for a huge market such as this (at least 40M
DTT sets in 20+M OTA households), the "cheaper to make
DVB-T products" is very highly debatable, even if the
irrelevance of DVB-T in the US market didn't end that
line of reasoning. Consider that even in the tiny
quantities that ATSC boxes are available, they are still
cheaper than DVB-T HD boxes in Australia, right? It's
all about volume of sales at this point.

As long as 8-VSB receivers were overly touchy, you might
have had a point. Manufacturers didn't want a bunch of
returned product. Technology-wise, that's history now,
and has been for at least two years.