[opendtv] Re: Sony U.S execs: Expect a robust holiday season

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:29:47 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> I still believe the rotor antenna is probably the
> biggest enemy of the DTT transition.  I currently am
> using 2 computers with a total of 3 PCHD cards and 2
> switched antennas to record digital TV.

Basically, I *rule out* the rotor as any sort of viable
solution. So we agree.

The best solution is co-located transmission facilities.
But for real OTA users, who typically want to pull in
stations from more than one market, that is often not
feasible. Sometimes it can work, if both markets are
reasnably lined up along one azimuth.

Then you try antennas with relatively wide beams or even
omni antennas, if they provide enough gain in your
location. Log periodic antennas where the elements are
in a V shape achieve fairly wide main lobes.

Or you can use multiple antennas. If you can get by with
only one VHF antenna, adding a second UHF antenna is not
such a big deal. Of course, any proper apartment complex
OTA antenna setup would have multiple antennas with
diplexers tuned for the specific market. No reason
individual homes can't do the same thing.

In my case, I seem to do fine for azimuths from about 12
to 68 degrees of azimuth with the main VHF/UHF antenna,
although I get better reception of the Baltimore CBS
affiliate than the Washington one. So I always try to
use the Baltimore CBS affiliate.

I would think it would be in the broadcasters' own
interests to see that viable solutions are made
available to people in their market area.