[opendtv] Re: Sony U.S execs: Expect a robust holiday season

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 18:23:25 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> Told you it would get confusing Bert. And it will only
> get worse.

Indeed you did, Bob.

But ...

In your view, changing the physical layer of ATSC would
fix all ills, in terms of strange lack of product
marketing. Instead in my view, the same thing would
continue to occur.

The trick here is to attribute the correct cause to the
effect. If our crack team of marketers has black-listed
the US DTT market for some obscure reason, no matter
what physical layer you specify, there's going to be a
vacuum where DTT products should be.

Just one small example. How is it that this quite
respectable Radio Shack Accurian STB went undiscovered
by all the ad agencies, trade press journalists, spies
from the NAB, and AVS Forum enthusiasts this past year?

At $250, last year, it was about mid-pack for STBs. But
it seems to outperform almost all the others. Why hasn't
that product been further developed, price reduced,
features increased, instead of being sold off as stock
clearance? Or is it being further developed, but in a
top secret program?

Enquiring minds would love to know.