[opendtv] Re: Sony U.S execs: Expect a robust holiday season

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 17:01:17 -0800 (PST)

For the UBBER-TVER who can't get by with simple indoor antennas, wouldn't Cable
or SAT make more sense????

/////////////////////////////////////////
"Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Richard Hollandsworth wrote:
> Just the environment for a Smart Antenna....if the high
> level signals don't overload the front end...
>
> Mark Schubin wrote:
>
> > Since the beginning of DTT-reception testing in my
> > apartment, WCBS-DT and WNYW-DT have been co-located on
> > the Empire State Building. Yet directional receiving
> > antennas have had to be pointed in different directions
> > (or even placved in different locations) for reception
> > of those two. The best results with the latest receivers
> > have been with relatively non-directional loops.

My guess in Mark's apartment is that the elevation of each
station's transmitting antenna on the ESB's tower might have
an effect. Because the differences in elevation might create
different propagation paths, as the signals bounce around to
reach the indoor antenna, when the receiver is so close to
the very elevated transmitting antennas.

In any event, 5th gen receivers seem to have solved the
aiming problem, if the antennas are non-directional enough
to make use of the energy from multiple propagation paths.
I believe this is true whether window placement is required
or for the special best case of the LG 5th gen prototype.

As to the smart antenna idea, it is a great way to get the
ultimate fix, but it has consequences that don't seem to be
discussed. Let's not forget that the antenna(s) and downlead
are going to be shared among many receivers, each one tuned
to a different channel. I can easily see 6 such receivers
in an average household, between radios, TVs, and recording
devices.

Al Limberg and Doug champion the mast-mounted remote tuner
design. For multiple receivers, you would need as many of
these tuners to be installed on the mast. I agree that this
is the technically preferred solution, but at the same time,
I tend to get new TV toys at Christmas. Not a good time to
plan this sort of tuner installation.

But there are other options. Instead of installing one
remote tuner for each receiver, you install one remote tuner
for each STATION available OTA. For apartment complexes,
this is probably feasible. It in essence creates a mini-CATV
system. You dedicate one tuner to each local station then
remodulate the output for distribution, and no need for any
signal upstream from receivers. The only problem here is
that potentially many tuners are required. For example, I
would require 19 of these tuners.

Another option is to locate the tuners indoors, but still
remote from the receivers. This requires multiple downleads
from each antenna, each downlead dedicated to one tuner.
It's possible you'd also require a wide band antenna amp
to distribute the antenna signal from each antenna to each
tunable front end. this option has the advantage that you
don't need to crawl up to the mast in cold, windy weather.
If, that is, you provision enough spare downleads ahead of
time.

Another option is to locate the tunable front end inside
each receiver. I still think that for purely PRACTICAL
reasons, this sort of solution is the best. Perhaps the
LG 5th gen prototype combined a tunable front end with
a dual-conversion receiver??