[opendtv] Re: Sony U.S execs: Expect a robust holiday season

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 10:14:13 -0500

Cliff Benham wrote:

> Do you have an ATSC receiver at work or at home with
> either an indoor or outdoor antenna connected so you
> can experiment with placement to get the best reception?

Not ATSC, just NTSC for now. Both indoor antenna, upstairs,
and outdoor antenna for the downstairs setup. Both systems
include recording device, radio, and TV. The indoor
antenna is a Radio Shack double bowtie.

But several years ago, someone living a couple of miles
west of us managed to receive Baltimore and DC stations
with a 2nd gen ATSC receiver, with his outdoor antenna
aimed half-way between the main Baltimore and DC stations.
Trying to do this with analog created ghost images, but the
compromise worked fine with ATSC. Most likely because the
ghosts were all lagging images.

In my case, ghosts are also lagging. It's easy to tell with
analog.

I expect that this type of simple setup will be more
possible as ATSC receivers get better.