[opendtv] Re: Is 'Fair Use' in Peril?

  • From: Jarrett Vance <jarrettv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 08:44:46 -0600

>Specifically, I do not feel there is any implied contract by
>consumers to watch the ads.

I agree and believe that despite the capability to all together skip
or ignore commercials on time shifted programming, OTA and ad-assisted
programming will survive with good programming that people will want
to watch live because of the fact that it is entertaining.

Consider for a second that your a huge fan of CSI. Now sometimes you
won't be able to watch the show live so you may record it and watch it
later. Your penalty for not watching the show live is that you really
wanted to know why Grissom was in jail but you didn't find out as soon
as you could have.  Your reward for not watching the show live is that
you get no commercial interruptions.

If fair use does goto hell and this doesn't work they will probably
just have Grissom blatently drink Diet Chocolate Cherry flavored Coke
during every show (have you seen NCIS?).