[opendtv] Re: IBM out of the PC business

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:16:51 -0500

> And your point is? A 450 MHz CPU still works fine for web browsing
> and e-mail in the kids room.

And 5 years ago you would not have purchased a $2500 PC for a 'kids
room'. Your point was that users buy systems and use them for 5 or more
years nowadays. Are you using a 450Mhz CPU? Just because you can
*repurpose* an old system doesn't mean it is still being used for its
original intent.

> Don't get hung up with your personal views on this subject. The vast
> majority of PC owners do not ride on the bleeding edge, nor do they
> use their machines in data centers. They are typically taken out of
> the box, plugged in, and rarely upgraded (the hardware).

You think I ride the bleeding edge? My CPU is a 1.5Ghz Pentium M. I
couldn't play these new games if I wanted to. My servers at home run
openbsd on 500Mhz VIA ITX boards. Hardly bleeding edge there. But even I
will admit that some stuff (like Windows 2k Pro, XP, whatever) won't run
on a 500Mhz CPU. I had to upgrade my wife's PC to a 1Ghz CPU with a half
gig ram before Windows XP became marginally usable.

> What I was referring to is the fact that most of the first generation
> of digital STBs will be replaced in the next 2-3 years for two
> reasons: New codecs and new services.

Whatever happened to your vision of the software upgradable STB that we
keep for x years? Are you giving up? :)

Cheers
Kon