[opendtv] Re: IBM out of the PC business

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 10:29:04 -0500

> Last week I purchased a Linkplayer2, a DVD & network HD media player,
> though it does not have a receiver.  But one of the options on the menu
> was to update firmware over the Internet, which I promptly did.
>
> And a few months ago when I (temporarily) purchased a USDTV HD receiver
> at Walmart I found that it could be upgraded by them mailing me a USB
> memory stick, though I did not take advantage of that function.
>
> So these sorts of boxes are indeed arriving.

How do you think we flash STBs for test and development? Since the dawn
of time it has been by sneakernet, JTAG, carousel, other method or...
serial port. The only reason you see that serial port on the back and
have capability to flash is because of the complexity of the systems now
and the time to market. OTA even moreso, because you can't rely on the
local broadcaster to have a carousel system that can deliver an update
over the air. Bad I&T+QC is also the problem (lots of boxes are still
single threaded - no MMU, etc.). This has nothing to do with
technological advances, IMHO.

Cheers
Kon