[opendtv] Re: IBM out of the PC business

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 13:23:04 -0500

> At 5:32 PM -0500 12/3/04, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
>   "We've been in the post-PC era for four years now," Mr. Schwartz
> said, noting that last year a billion wireless handsets were sold
> compared with 100 million personal computers.

People are still buying PCs - they just aren't buying IBMs. The have
less than 5% of the market. Other manufacturers like Dell eat their
lunch and have gains >10% each year in sales.

A cellphone is not a PC! Just because a it ships more units doesn't mean
anything. You may as well say oranges are up, theres no reason to be in
the PC business. In Q3 the shipments are down but still up over the last
year. IBM was the loss leader in the last 2 Q's.

Schwartz has made this kind of comment before - as a way to downplay the
shipping out of manufacturing to sweatshop factories in the east. Maybe
he will give himself a nice bonus and fire *cough* retrench a few
thousand workers when the deal goes through.

Cheers
Kon