[opendtv] Re: IBM out of the PC business

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:36:40 -0500

At 10:16 AM -0500 12/7/04, Kon Wilms wrote:
>Whatever happened to your vision of the software upgradable STB that we
>keep for x years? Are you giving up? :)

Well. to a limited extent, some already exist. But for the most part,
the STB industry has thus far rejected the soft/upgradable box
approach. I think part of the reason for this is that the required
technology has not been cost competitive with boxes based on cheap
commodity chips, and in part because many major industry players do
not want to see the upgradable approach take hold...they like product
obsolescence.

But I think things could change with the next generation of STBs. The
programmable technology is now available to build such boxes with
only a small premium over dedicated ASIC designs. And the next
generation of applications will require more programmability.

We shall see how this plays out.