[opendtv] Re: Is 'Fair Use' in Peril?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 12:39:37 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> If this passes, every moment a viewer spends watching
> commercials will be a testimonial and obvious reminder
> to the public of how much our legislators are
> controlled by special interests without the public
> good in mind.

Well, there is the other side to consider. If
commercials cannot work, then the public will be
forced to pay more out of pocket for something that's
been "free" as long as TV has existed. So that is not
necessarily in the public's best interest either.

Even for those who have made themselves dependent on
a multichannel provider, higher monthly fees can be
expected, if commercials don't work.

But there's a simple enough compromise. Just let
recorders fast forward through commercials, but not
just automatically skip over them. With disk type
recorders especially, FF still shows the commercial
enough to see the product name and to slow down
playback if the commercial seems interesting. Which I
do often enough.

The FF speed has to be fast enough to make it worth
while, though, so that mean maybe 8X or 16X. That
still shows enough frames to see what's going on.

Seems obvious that you can't simply yank away the
revenue source for broadcasters. And forcing everyone
to become pregnant with a multichannel provider is no
solution either. Some might think *that's* being
"controlled by special interests." I certainly would,
if that were the "solution" Congress comes up with.