[opendtv] Re: Is 'Fair Use' in Peril?

  • From: johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:15:19 -0800 (PST)

I don't know your conclusory remarks to be true based on my observations.

You spoke of why -- purportedly -- people bought VCRs.  I described how
people use them.  In the early 1980's, people convinced themselves to buy
a computer to balance their checking account, which was (until Quicken)
harder to do with a computer than manually.  (Uh, that WAS my point about
time-shifting.)

I see one hell of a lot of VCRs with flashing (or steady) 12:00 on them.
I guess you don't.  Mine is an observation; yours appears to be a
conclusion.  Then, you go on to an urban legend.  I stopped watching
Johnny Carson about 1979; the second year I owned a VCR, so I couldn't
have gotten the information from there.

As for not knowing about post 1990 VCRs, just a week or two ago, I reset
the clock on my mother's 1992 era Sony VCR with VCR+; the clock was off,
and she wanted to record jeopardy.  Apparently, KPBS-TV is no longer
transmitting the time signal.  The VCR does not get the channel line up
from over the air; you have to scan. How could you make your statement
without knowing this?

John Willkie