[opendtv] Re: Is 'Fair Use' in Peril?

  • From: Russ Wood <russ.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:55:54 -0000

A suggestion from a long-time "Lurker" on this group.

Identify each advert with an unique key at transmission time
and then provide logic within the device to play each advert
once and only once and to otherwise skip them.

This could also be made to work for programme "announcements" which
are little more than adverts anyway.

Decoders have limited memory so discard keys over 1 month old.

Advertisers would get tricky by changing ID for each transmission so this
would have to be covered by a code of practice.

Russ