[opendtv] Re: Is 'Fair Use' in Peril?

  • From: johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 09:38:10 -0800 (PST)

I can accept that there are two people in (North America/the U.S./New York
State/NYC/Manhattan or even your city block) that do this, Mark.  I also
suspect that the VCRs in your household don't blink 12:00 continually.

But, not 2% of the populace, nor 2% of total viewing hours.

I suspect that making this type of use easier is one of the drivers to the
(at this point) non-success of Tivo.  I note that they have less than 1%
of the populace or total viewing hours.

If the VCR blinks 12:00, it's useless for timed recording, so you at least
have to be home to start the recording so you can later view it.
Otherwise, the activity becomes more burdensome.

What's the business model for insuring that VCRs (or TV's have the correct
time?

John Willkie