[opendtv] Re: Is 'Fair Use' in Peril?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 11:18:32 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> And there are studies that suggest that watching
> ads in FF is JUST as effective as watching the
> actual ad.

Exactly! Which is why Congress should consider
allowing fast forward in recording devices, even
if it decides to ban the outright skipping function.

As a matter of fact, I would suggest that FF makes
the viewer pay *more* attention to the ad, because
he has to concentrate until the program begins
again. As opposed to just reading the paper during
the ads. And ads can be designed to work well when
watched in FF mode.

> I find it interesting that the migration to DVD
> is now beginning to threaten the traditional
> distribution channel of advertiser supported TV
> programming. Millions of people are buying DVDs
> with complete series of TV programs, all without
> commercials. And the content owners are making
> even more money selling their content directly to
> consumers.

This is simply a different business model. This is
more like Hollywood selling movies on DVD or VHS.

I also find the concept interesting, but it
doesn't invalidate the broadcast TV model. I will
bet that those DVD sets would not sell nearly as
well if the content were not also being broadcast
and talked about by the office crowd. Besides,
only some shows are available on DVD.

Ads are important. "Targeted ads" are only
slightly less likely to be zapped than other ads.
So a good answer is needed regardless.