[opendtv] Re: Is 'Fair Use' in Peril?]]

  • From: Cliff Benham <cbenham@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:38:12 -0500

 From a work colleague...

IMHO...

every one of these infringements on privacy and right to choice
contributes to the ultimate breakdown of Law and Order, and I do not
consider myself paranoid, just observant.  One of those I observe is my
friend who is a REAL Polish anarchist. He was FOR Bush in the last
election, because it hastens what he considers is the coming of
destruction (Kerry, in his opinion would have delayed it.) He is FOR the
DMCA and the IPPA because they make laws which cannot be enforced while
distracting individuals and lawmakers from serious societal issues. He
is FOR high security measures at the nations airports, because it spends
billions of dollars and protects nothing and nobody while aggravating
nearly everyone and wasting millions of hours. He is FOR the promotion
of the American Style of Democracy throughout the world (also known as
Imperialism) because it has never worked, at least for very long, for
any nation which has tried it... not for the Greeks, not for the Romans,
not for the Portuguese, not for the Spanish, not for the Turks, not for
the Russians and on and on.  It will not work for the United States and
it will not work for the Chinese who will succeed us in the attempts.

Individuals will always, at some level, do what they please.
Governments will, over time, create so much control that they lose all
control. Much of that loss is because the costs of maintaining control
are so much greater than the value of what is being controlled.
The expense of keeping controls in place eats away at the economic
underpinnings of the controller and requires more and more controls at
ever greater cost. Since those in control are never willing to
compromise their own economic position, it is the controlled (read
exploited) who lose.  But only temporarily. Ultimately they rise up, or
become conquered.

So to answer the question, no.  Fair use is not ultimately in peril,
just the society making stupid rules to benefit those in control.

[ Real slogan painted on a dumpster at West Chester University:

    "Thanks for all the business.
     Sorry about the kids.
     Halliburton" ]

Warmest regards and a very Happy Commercial-filled Thanksgiving to all,
George

Would it also be illegal to change channels to avoid commercials?
Would it be illegal to use the mute button on your remote control?
Would it be illegal to turn off your TV for 2 minutes to avoid commercials?
Would it be illegal to go to the bathroom during commercials?
Would it be illegal to discuss the football game during the commercials?
If the power goes off can you be fined for missing a commercial?

Just really wondering how much big brother control these silly asses
think the public will put up with?