[opendtv] Re: Is 'Fair Use' in Peril?

  • From: Henry Baker <hbaker1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 18:49:13 -0800

I have a JVC VCR that uses the Gemstar(?) patented code that the LA Times
religiously publishes in their TV guide and the JVC cleverly looks for the
time code on the PBS channel to make sure that the clock never blinks 12:00.
With these two things, it is very easy to queue up a number of shows to watch --
almost as easy as using TiVo.

What amazes me is that only PBS ever went to the effort to broadcast the time
code; the major networks completely dropped the ball.  I suppose that they
were under the mistaken impression that VCR's would keep people from watching
their shows.  Actually, the VCR (and more recently TiVo) has made watching
certain shows possible, since they always occurred at the wrong times, or
opposite another program that we wanted to watch.  Silly, short-sighted
networks!