[opendtv] Re: --FCC OKs WiFi between TV channels

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 10:17:22 -0400

At 7:49 PM -0700 5/27/04, John Willkie wrote:
>I find it hard to believe that a 4:3 set actually is HDTV, since the only
>HDTV table 3 formats are 16:9.  What makes these sets qualify?  Because they
>can handle MP@HL video?  Then, why not display HDTV content natively?

Too much Tequila John? You really are off the wall today.

The display is decoupled from the source in Digital TV. All sets must
accommodate all ATSC formats, as well as legacy 4:3 525 line sources.
Thus by default, any screen (aspect ratio)  will have some unused
areas if the source is displayed accurately (some sets fill the
screen by distorting or cropping the source. What's more, no
lithographed display can display all formats natively, unless you
want them to be presented in windows (i.e. 640 x 480,  854 x 480,
1280 x 720 and 1920 x 1080); image scaling is a prerequisite for any
ATSC conformant display.

Let's say the display is based on a lithographed technology with 1280
x 1024 samples (a common workstation format with a 1.25:1 aspect
ratio). If you prefer, we could use a 1600 x 1200 panel that is 4:3.
Now tell me that these displays are incapable of using a 1280 x 720
subset to display HD properly...