[opendtv] Re: --FCC OKs WiFi between TV channels

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 12:04:28 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> How many? I think you will find that the number is going to be
> relatively small in the areas where there is significant congestion.

The NTSC UHF tabboos required a spacing of 6 channels between
stations in one market? With DTV, you should be able to use
adjacent bands. That's a substantial difference.

The full power problems I have heard about are fairly predictable.
For example, using the same frequency for two transmitters which
are less than 100 miles apart. You have to look at each case
rather than paint everything with a broad brush.

> It is less easy to conceive of a way to protect
> the consumer investment in analog TV receivers. But at some point it
> is reasonable to ask when that investment has been amortized; this is
> especially true when the solution may be as simple as adding a $50
> box to legacy sets. But that would require a different approach than
> the one we are following today.

Somehow, I don't think this issue is a big deal. Consumers will be
able to buy cheap enough boxes, and the built-in tuners will be
cheaper still. The shame of it is that it took Michael Powell to
get this rolling, years after the conversion process should have
been underway. The decent receivers we're starting to see emerge
could have been designed years ago, had the CE companies had any
reason at all to dedicate resources to them. But the FCC first had
to reaffirm the 8-VSB decision, and then the tuner mandate and
the cable agreement did the rest. It just took way too long.