[opendtv] Re: --FCC OKs WiFi between TV channels

  • From: "John Willkie" <jmwillkie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 21:42:57 -0700

Incorrect, and on several grounds.

First, it's a snake chasing it's own tail.  I asked for examples of how
broadcasters have delayed the transition.  You draw conclusions about what
would happen if they "keep spectrum off the market."

Broadcasters have done no such thing.  The FCC has delayed auctions, but
(since the spectrum was not available and WON'T BE available until Jan 1,
2007 at the earliest, pursuant to a law that you think benefits
broadcasters) they were ill-advised in auctioning off the spectrum until it
was available.

It's like buying a house, but giving a life estate to the owner.  You get a
discount, since the house is not free and clear.  Wait until the owner dies,
and the house is not only more valuable, since it lacks a tenant, but the
market probably is pricier.

Spectrum is like real estate in one key aspect:  they're creating very new
little amounts of either, and demand still goes up.

Also, broadcasters have done little to restrict competition.  The U.S. media
marketplace is the most diverse, rich and fecund media marketplace in the
world.  Except, he needs to note, for content created elsewhere.

And, speaking of "competition."  Wait until those new entrants realize that
there is no law or agreement that mandates that content companies actually
sell their assets to new entrants.  If there was such a law, there would be
less content created.

You have to create your own content.  Less interesting content, mostly, than
what is offered now.