[opendtv] Re: --FCC OKs WiFi between TV channels

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 16:45:08 -0400

There's something weird about this concept.

One of the criteria for reducing the spectrum assigned to
broadcast TV, I thought, was that the tabboo rules in
place since NTSC, particularly wrt UHF, can now be
greatly reduced. And too, I thought, ATSC stations
can exist in adjacent channels with NTSC stations, so
even more so with other ATSC stations. That was even
supposed to be one of the advantages of having a 8-VSB,
with its low peak to average ratio.

So while this concept of allowing non-TV RF users to
pick up unused bands might be technically valid, it
should be also legally and technically possible for
broadcasters to install more OTA stations, and use
the spectrum they were assigned more completely?

The question then would be, what would existing OTA
broadcasters prefer? Non-TV squatters on their spectrum,
or more OTA competition?

Bert