[opendtv] Re: --FCC OKs WiFi between TV channels

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 15:31:37 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> Freeview is taking advantage of antennas that are already
> there.

And why can't ATSC do likewise? I certainly plan on this being
the case here as well.

> In many
> cases they are putting up new antennas but in far more cases it works
> with indoor antenna.

Do you have anything to support this statement, because even at the
lower bit rate they had to fall back to, I find it hard to believe.

You're claiming that the vast majority of Freeview users use rabbit
ears. That would mean they are all located within at best 12 miles
of the transmitter (using the Berlin SFN example for which we have
the contour, but which might not apply exactly to the UK service).

> The goal should be to have the best modulation possible and if that
> means that we no longer need cable or satellite good
> riddance.

Don't think that's realistic. DBS and cable will continue to have
a lot more spectrum than OTA, so it's hard to see how OTA can
provide the same level of program choice. Not to mention the
reception problems that are sometimes easiest to solve with either
cable or DBS, no matter what modulation you care to use.