[opendtv] Re: --FCC OKs WiFi between TV channels

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 19:59:16 -0400

 > It makes no sense to say that the DTV transition is "to retain
 > the status quo." What might make some sense is to say that
 > *broadcasters* are implementing the DTV transition using a
 > strategy whose sole purpose appears to be to retain their cable
 > rights. But maybe that doesn't fit in a nice little sound bite.

I've sometimes thought that but that alone doesn't explain why they
seem to want to hold the duplicate spectrum forever.  I've been
corrected a number of times on this by people associated with or
sympathetic to the broadcast industry.  The broadcasters spend a huge
amount of money on power and duplicate effort continuing the drawn out
dual TV transition.

And yet they give every impression of wanting to continue in this
fashion, so I assume that is what they choose for some reason.  If all
they wanted was must carry rights on cable and satellite then it seems
they would support a faster transition, even if they didn't believe
anyone was yet watching it digitally.

I can offer no good explanation for this but it seems the broadcasters
strategy is two pronged: Hang onto spectrum and hang onto must carry.

- Tom