[opendtv] Re: Ericsson: TV and Media 2015

  • From: Daniel Grimes <dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2015 18:20:28 -0700

Craig wrote:

"And they have access to most of this programming via the Internet today
via the .com websites, and the catch-up services like Hulu."

"So what is lacking?

"Only the real time social interactions - the family campfire. And sports."

Sorry, I must admit that I have only been skimming the latest banter
between Craig and Bert. I do admire to what lengths you are able to spend
on flushing out the details of current TV. Anyway, I believe there has
been a lot of discussion lately on the relevance of linear TV. I think
this is part of it?

Sports is often discussed as a one type of programming that needs a
linear-based distribution medium.

But there are so many more:

-Newscasts: a CES study in 2013 (I think) states that live news is the
number one reason (with sports second) that people subscribe to a
traditional MVPD.

-Morning shows: arguably, a news program, more entertainment in my mind,
but still very much watched in real time, even if shifted for time zones.

-Late night talk shows: while catch-up is possible (a co-worker and I
loved to watch next-day playbacks of the Conan O'Brian--remember him?--
over lunch), much of the content is contextual and based on current
events...or promoting upcoming products (like movies). Many go to sleep
over it. Truly appointment TV.

-Tabloid TV: though might be considered "news", seriously not. But has to
be current events. Maybe websites are now more popular but if they were,
why broadcast it?

-Skit programming: remember that Saturday Night Live is still live.

-Reality TV shows: the linear airing is only a small percentage of the
overall reality TV experience, where other social experiences and
communications happen in real time at the same time. This could not happen
if the same episode was not fed to everyone at the same time.

-Fund raisers: Jerry is dead, but MDA isn't. (update: I just read an
announcement that the tradition of the Labor Day MDA telethon is over.
http://goo.gl/jDGKJW). And your local PBS station will never stop.

-Award shows: too many to list. Seems like there is one every week.

-Concerts and other special live entertainment: music, magic and underwear.

And the list could go on. I realize many of these could be watched VOD.
But in reality, they are still "live" in nature and I think people will
continue to experience them in a linear fashion.

And even episodic narratives will probably be first released on a linear
channel. Not because they need to but because people like to and like to
integrate new social communications during the show. I assume everyone
knows what I am talking about here but if they do not, I can elaborate on
some new cultural uses of the second screen.

Conclusion: linear TV is relevant and will be forever. To what percentage
I will not anticipate but I do think it might actually increase instead of
decrease as live social interactions become more electronic. And the
medium is really irrelevant, so long as it is viewable on a screen we want
to watch it on.

Just musing, though not particularly amusing.

Dan