[opendtv] Re: Ericsson: TV and Media 2015

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 00:04:24 +0000

Daniel Grimes wrote:

So where do most people discover and get details about where new
program exists? Could it be traditional linear channels?

I doubt that. Even if some of TV programs are discovered this way, over time,
fewer and fewer will be.

The problem is, there is WAY way more available on demand than linear. So it's
just not realistic to expect people to find stuff by watching linear. On the
other hand, search engines exist, and some of these portals have excellent
search engines.

You can use a regular search engine to find TV portals online. Or you can focus
on portals you might already know.

Go to Hulu. You can pick by genre (movies, TV, and sub-genre in each category),
you can pick by name (just begin typing the name and the search engine gives a
bunch of possibilities), you can pick by what's popular, you can look at the
Hulu recommendations. Many ways to find new material.

And in fact, this is not surprising to me. The Internet is so much more
gymongous than anything TV-related that came before, that we cannot expect any
legacy scheme to be useful for online TV. It has to be newer techniques. Search
engines are that newer technique, and only the programmer's imagination limits
how useful they are.