[opendtv] Re: Ericsson: TV and Media 2015

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2015 22:24:08 -0400

On Sep 5, 2015, at 7:12 PM, Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Craig wrote:

And they have access to most of this programming via the Internet today via
the
.com websites, and the catch-up services like Hulu.

So what is lacking?

Nothing is lacking.

Really?

You conveniently deleted my answer to the question and went off on this
tangent...

Luddites take some time to get used to the new ways, and certainly when
slaved to an MVPD STB, as you are, using online sources for viewing on the
big screen is not so trivial, but there's no doubt that many have adapted.
Easily more than half of all video people use daily, including TV in that
video total, is streamed. We are past the point where streaming is
"experimental," as a medium.

The answer was: Only the real time social interactions - the family campfire.
And sports.

People still like to watch their favorite shows when episodes premiere - tens
of millions of them. And more than 20% are interacting on social networks while
watching the show.

And you completely blew off sports...

By the way, my daughter and son in law just UNCUT the cord with Cox. Sports was
a major reason, but my daughter still follows many episodic shows and was happy
to get the extended basic bundle back.

I have adapted Bert. I don't use my Apple TV every day, but I do access
internet video sources every day on my iPad.

And please stop with the bull about half of all TV viewing being streamed. I
have disproven this from multiple sources. ENOUGH!

Mobility, for linear TV, is not a big item with people in the US (or
elsewhere for that matter - DVB-H example). Part of my issue with ATSC 3.0
broadcast mode.

If you are talking about investing in a device to watch DVB-H or ATSC MHP you
are absolutely correct. Hardly anyone finds much value in dedicated mobile
receivers for broadcast television.

But mobility has been redefined by laptop computers, smartphones and tablets
that can access the Internet without being connected to a MVPD umbilical or a
broadcast antenna. I have watched live TV on my iPad (as a passenger) while
traveling down the Interstate, tethered to the cellular data from my cellphone.
I see people watching video at Starbucks and Panera and other locations with
WiFi. I recently posted an article about the rapid growth of TV Everywhere,
which allows these new "mobile screens" to access live linear programming.

And then there is Sling...

So cut the crap.

Not a big deal for many in the US, since we don't put much emphasis on
linear, as Figure 14 shows. AND, elsewhere in the world, this can be done no
problem. RAI has been streaming everything for years and years, live and on
demand.

More crap. We just went round and round about these stats with multiple sources
stating that 47% of all TV viewing is live linear, and half of the rest is time
shifted via DVR or MVPD VOD services.

Because I don't get flummoxed by statistics as you do, Craig, as evidenced
most recently by the quotes at the top. I said that more than 50% of video,
including TV in that video, is now watched over the Internet. Some of that is
"non-TV" material, like Netflix movies. Of TV per se, more in the 30-40%
range are online streams.

Your on a roll Bert. Now movies watched on a TV are not TV...

WOW.

ROTFL. So, the fact that the data are from 20-odd countries, not the US
exclusively, doesn't explain why the daily total hours might not seem right
to you?

Please show me the fine print about the "markets" Related to Figure 2. I don't
know where those markets are, but I do know that everyone surveyed had
broadband capable of accessing OTT services.

And you completely missed my point about the hours not adding up. Nothing new
here.

You complained that the totals didn't appear to be 5 hours per day, and you
still don't understand why? Wow, Craig. Try to restrain your knee-jerk
arguments.

I was not complaining. I observed that the totals in the Ericsson study suggest
that people watch less than 5 hours of TV a day, and I then suggested that the
ratings services are putting out inflated numbers to make their clients in the
TV content industry look better.

Somebody is being a jerk.