[opendtv] Re: Ericsson: TV and Media 2015

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2015 19:12:07 -0400

Craig wrote:

You are trying to conflate multiple studies and statistics.
The Deloitte question does not reflect actual usage or
subscriber rates - it reflects preferences.

You are distorting the facts. The Deloitte study said that most of the 53%
was
time shifting via a DVR.

The least you could have done is corrected your obvious mistakes, right?
Instead of pretending you had it right all along? After claiming that the
Deloitte study only talked about vague preferences, not actual usage, and after
claiming that most of the time-shift viewing was via DVR, both clearly false
statements, finally you arrive at the truth, having finally checked your facts.
But you never went back, even in your current post, to correct your mistakes.
So at last, only because I don't accept your BS, you got it right:

Most time-shifted viewing still happens through a set top box, says the
report.
Together, DVRs (34%) and VOD from a pay TV provider (19%) account for more
than
half of all time-shifted viewing. The study explores the usage and drivers of
four main categories of time-shifting alternatives: DVR, Video on Demand, TV
Everywhere and OTT platforms.
You are your own worst enemy.

Who is his own worst enemy, Craig? I strongly urge you, once again, to inform
yourself FIRST, not after the fact. And then don't pretend to have had it right
all along. It's too easy to show how consistently wrong you are.

And they have access to most of this programming via the Internet today via
the
.com websites, and the catch-up services like Hulu.

So what is lacking?

Nothing is lacking. Luddites take some time to get used to the new ways, and
certainly when slaved to an MVPD STB, as you are, using online sources for
viewing on the big screen is not so trivial, but there's no doubt that many
have adapted. Easily more than half of all video people use daily, including TV
in that video total, is streamed. We are past the point where streaming is
"experimental," as a medium.

You are misrepresenting the findings. The "Monitor" portion of the grid did
not
say these issues were "unimportant." It said they are less important, but may
become more important, and thus should be monitored.

With your record of getting these stats consistently wrong, Craig, recent
examples quoted above, you should at least hesitate before claiming I'm wrong.
Figure 14, bottom axis: "derived relative importance." Do you understand what
that means? Points to the left are considered unimportant. Which only confirms
what I've been telling you, Craig. Mobility, for linear TV, is not a big item
with people in the US (or elsewhere for that matter - DVB-H example). Part of
my issue with ATSC 3.0 broadcast mode.
For example it does not
address the problems of accessing live linear streams over the Internet.

Not a big deal for many in the US, since we don't put much emphasis on linear,
as Figure 14 shows. AND, elsewhere in the world, this can be done no problem.
RAI has been streaming everything for years and years, live and on demand.

So why do you keep trying to convince us that more than 50% Of TV viewing is
taking place over the Internet, when multiple credible studies prove that
this
is not the case?

Because I don't get flummoxed by statistics as you do, Craig, as evidenced most
recently by the quotes at the top. I said that more than 50% of video,
including TV in that video, is now watched over the Internet. Some of that is
"non-TV" material, like Netflix movies. Of TV per se, more in the 30-40% range
are online streams.

Sorry, but that is irrelevant, and not even correct. ... So this data ONLY
measures homes with the ability to access OTT services. And
it only measures 20 markets

ROTFL. So, the fact that the data are from 20-odd countries, not the US
exclusively, doesn't explain why the daily total hours might not seem right to
you? You complained that the totals didn't appear to be 5 hours per day, and
you still don't understand why? Wow, Craig. Try to restrain your knee-jerk
arguments.