[opendtv] Re: Ericsson: TV and Media 2015

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 02:07:37 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, it is very rare for ten million
people to watch the same program via a VOD service

We've been over this. There's nothing to prevent such, assuming that indeed it
has not already occurred. I've explained how it can be done, and how cable
companies are doing something similar for their VOD already (satellite to
distributed servers).

That precious spectrum on MVPD systems still does the heavy hauling.

How much of the heavy hauling, Craig? And how many homes could be provided with
20 Mb/s (downstream) service, if that spectrum was repurposed?

No need to belabor the obvious, Craig. Linear is losing
ground fast. Already 56% of US consumers are watching movies
on demand (I'm talking about movies to electronic devices,
obviously).

Duh. Not many recent movies on broadcast or cable networks
these days.

Oh really? You were just telling us how important it is for HBO to have a
linear channel.