[opendtv] Re: Ericsson: TV and Media 2015

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 23:27:53 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

I already addressed the campfire issue: it's bogus.

In your opinion.

Craig persists. No, it's actually their opinion. That's why I already stated
that the report says as much. And now I am circling back to that point.

http://www.ericsson.com/res/docs/2015/consumerlab/ericsson-consumerlab-tv-media-2015.pdf

On p. 11: "Serendipity is however possible for on-demand services. It can be
created, for example, by the interplay between multiple services. This
interplay is evident in the current practice of linked viewing, where friends
and family send links to interesting content through social media, YouTube
recommendations that engage the viewer, and the promotion of new title
releases. There will be a distinct need for on-demand platforms to pleasantly
surprise consumers all the time."

Bert is enamored with the behavior of the Millennials,

No again, this is also in the report, and not just millenials. Matter of fact,
given that the report is from many countries, many of which DO NOT YET have all
the options we have here, you can expect a "Craig-luddite" factor to be
involved. As long as people don't use the new options, they find it hard to
understand why they should. And yet, p. 15:

"The traditional TV and media offering, with linear channels as the main
product and all other features complementary, is challenged by consumers.
Consumers now want a world of entertainment at their fingertips. Offerings
should include a range of added services, such as linear channels, catch-up,
VOD capabilities and more, all constructed in a seamless way. 46 percent of
consumers show high interest in a service that offers such an integrated
experience, together with the ability to view content on any device (Figure
18)."

So, it doesn't matter what amount of "let's pretend nothing is changing" a
broadcaster or MVPD, and Craig inexplicably along with them, may indulge in.
These are stats aggregated from many countries, and are only that much more
pronounced in the US. Some amount of live, a small minority of the total, will
persist. Sure. But you're simply missing the boat if you make a big deal of
"linear/live."

But I see little evidence that any people interact socially by
simultaneously watching the same program, at the same time from a
VOD source. This may happen with Netflix originals,

??? You don't think families get together to watch on demand (or on DVD)
movies? Come now, Craig. This is commonplace.

I am now seeing a new phenomenon that I have discounted up until now.
Sports VOD.

I've mentioned in the past that not all sports are consumed live. Certainly not
the types of Olympic sports you see on Universal Sports, for example. If these
are available VOD, as opposed to time-shifted by the network, even better for
the consumer.

So bottom line Bert, you can keep trying to convince Moonves,
Skipper, et so that live TV is dead...

But they are not listening.

Hilarious. Does Craig really think these CEOs don't read? Does Craig really
think that CBS All Access and HBO Now are about more linear/live?

Of that 50% of time-shifted TV program viewing, about half
is consumed from online sources (actual number, 47%).

Not correct. 47% is consumed live from a linear TV service.

Oops. Craig got lost already. I was hoping for a little more rigor on Craig's
part. Check again, Craig. Of the time-shifted viewing 53% uses either in-system
VOD, or DVRs. So I ask you, how much time-shifted viewing DOES NOT use either
in-system VOD or DVR?

Correct. But this is not just time shifting,

Hopeless. Might as well ignore the rest. Craig, I spoonfed you the numbers.
Check back with the source, quote from the source, then get back to me.