[opendtv] Re: Ericsson: TV and Media 2015

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2015 17:26:06 -0400

Craig wrote:

You conveniently deleted my answer to the question and went off on this
tangent...

As I already said, Craig, I always snip what is well known and repetitious,
which is what you seem to enjoy most. This is what you wrote:

Only the real time social interactions - the family campfire. And sports.

I already addressed the campfire issue: it's bogus. Btw, the Ericsson report
said as much too. On demand can equally be used for any "campfire" cluster. And
the sports aspect has been repeated enough times to be considered banality. So,
nothing is missing for more and more adoption of on demand, except those
aspects I already explained. You can scroll back and re-read.

And please stop with the bull about half of all TV viewing being streamed. I
have disproven this from multiple sources. ENOUGH!

Craig, you have zero credibility with me, when it comes to anything
quantitative. (And anything qualitative you might derive from it.) As I showed
you in my previous post, and multiple times over the years, you constantly
misinterpret, I have to push you back to the truth, and before you know it,
you're back to your vague misinterpretations (aka back to square 1). You should
have been able to do these numbers on your own.

Read carefully. I will do this in round numbers, hoping that perhaps you can
follow:

On demand TV program viewing is about 50% of all TV viewing (actual number,
53%). (That right there took an eternity to get across to you.)
Of that 50% of time-shifted TV program viewing, about half is consumed from
online sources (actual number, 47%).

With me so far, Craig? So roughly, what percentage of daily TV programs are
consumed *time-shifted* from online sources? Roughly 25%.

Some of the daily *linear* TV program consumption is also done from online
sources. For instance, if nothing else, TVE. Let us try to make Craig happy,
and assign a tiny number to that: 5%.

Hey Craig, where are we so far? If TVE is as pathetic as this, then use of the
Internet for daily TV program consumption is about 30%.

Are you with me so far, Craig? If not, be specific. Now let's proceed.

Did you notice I always specified "TV program consumption"? This is because the
numbers apply to TV channel content. Not to OTT content such as Netflix movies
or YouTube or other such. Yes, *some* of daily Netflix streaming is TV shows on
demand, but the vast majority is not. The amount that was actual TV shows was
included previously.

Next step. Craig has been religiously repeating a statistic he doesn't seem to
understand. Craig keeps telling us that 23% of videos consumed from the
Internet are from OTT sites such as Netflix movies or YouTube videos. These are
called "digital video streaming," or similar, and are differentiated from "TV
shows." Can you add those daily totals up, Craig? What is the sum? What is 30%
plus 23%?

I have watched live TV on my iPad

Congratulations. The Ericsson report puts very low importance on linear mobile.

Please show me the fine print about the "markets" Related to Figure 2. I
don't
know where those markets are, but I do know that everyone surveyed had
broadband capable of accessing OTT services.

All of the quantitative data come from may countries, as is clearly stated and
as I have copied for Craig's benefit. The qualitative data, specifically the
qualitative data shown in Figures 14 and 15, are very clearly labeled as being
US-only. I should not have to spoonfeed you this information, Craig.

Somebody is being a jerk

Yes indeed your are being, Craig. Why does it take forever to get you to
understand anything new?