[opendtv] Re: Ericsson: TV and Media 2015

  • From: Daniel Grimes <dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 07:50:38 -0700

I would like to add something to my statement regarding watching linear
streams, that "...the medium is really irrelevant, so long as it is
viewable on a screen we want to watch it on."

I don't think I should say the medium is irrelevant. My intent was to say
that whether the linear channel was on a traditional MVPD, VMVPD, OTT, OTA,
IP, etc. isn't the issue, but rather, whether the stream could be seen by a
large populace at the same time.

However, what is not irrelevant is whether people can get to the stream and
whether they know about it. The content must be able to be discovered. I
would say that it is nearly impossible to discover content on most OTT
portals without cross platform promotions. So where do most people
discover and get details about where new program exists? Could it be
traditional linear channels? So perhaps the medium does have some
relevance.

Dan